23 May 2009

The people between rock and water

I need to seriously thank my parents for a fast metabolism because without it I would never make it in Lebanon. If one thought the food insistence was bad in Egypt, it is quite worse in Lebanon. Every meal is a full spead of appetizers and then a main course (usually two plates) and then desert (thankfully fruit). It has taken me a month, but I have successfully managed to not over eat. My only goal now is to feel a little hungry and do some yoga to get my stomach area back into shape. Lebanese food is very good and very hard to pass up.

I don't have my cable cord to post pictures, but Chris is bringing it tonight so I'll put some up soon. I have been to Tripoli (I wish Pappy were still alive so I could tell him about it). I stayed with George Najjar at his farm and we had all farm fresh and organic foods. I was in heaven. George makes his own olive oil and we ate this stuff that is a soft cheese with olive oil called "lebnah". I must learn how to make it because I don't know how I will live my life without it.

Tripoli is in North Lebanon and sits at the shore with the mountains in the back drop. ok that is how one might describe most of the cities in Lebanon. We finally got to do a little hiking at Ehden Preserve. We've also been to Byblos where the alphabet originated and slept at the mediterrean on these outside mattresses (tres chic). I've seen old Beirut and learned a lot about the rebuilding of this country that I cannot wait to share with the planning folks or anyone else that I can bore. We stayed in a town called Hammana and if given the choice I think Bill our team leader would have never left.

What is amazing to me is the Lebanese resillence. I've met people who never left Lebanon through the war and to hear them explain it, it was a difficult time but life always goes on even with the fighting. It really has put several things for me into persepective because we in America live such a sheltered life. Septemeber 11th was our first real dose of strife in several generations and the Lebanese dealt with 15 years of September 11ths. They know the areas to avoid and always hope for the best. They are very flexible to change plans because there entire lives can be rearranged in a instant, but it doesn't keep them from living them.

I would go on about the politics of the region, but I think that is best on a one-on-one basis. Needless to say, you'll be hearing "changes to our foreign policy" from a top my soapbox sometime soon. The trip to Lebanon has definitly enlighten me on the importance of foreign affairs as well as really brought to the forefront of how horrible our foreign coverage is. For those of you who watch news from the right you are not getting correct information and for those of you who watch news from the left you aren't getting the whole story. If there is anything that has stuck with me was a quote by a Rotarian president last night that went something like "the media can be worse than an atomic bomb" and from a top my lemon tree, there is a lot of truth to it.

I leave Beirut on Monday and have one night and one day with my Cairo friends (miss you) and then we leave for the states. Wags is going to pick Bryant and I up from the airport because we do not get in until midnight and I hope we will make all the flights. Some how I have to let go of my safety pillow called "the Mona pillow" who has been having adventures of his own.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney I miss you sooooooooo much and very very glad to know your news and how you are impressed of Lebanon. I know food there is very very special and people are amazing and very friendly and all touristic area and the beach.. I'm very very touched as well knowing that my pillow has been with you all the way and took all those adventure from Cairo to Alexandria to sahl hashish to Lebanon how nice .. hope to see you to say bye before you leave to the states.
    my regards and hugs to all the group:))

    ReplyDelete