12 May 2009

6th of October City

As an American, one may find a date strange for a city, but this is a significant day in Egyptian history as it was the date of their victory over the Sinai with Israel. Thus far, I know it as a date, a bridge and a city. The city I was fortunate enough to tour on Sunday (the Muslem Monday). I'm not sure if it is the translation or the person I am asking, but I've asked several of the same questions and finally have pieced together some answers. I also got the presentaiton disc in English (i hope) for that lovely brown bag lunch that I'll make the planning department sit through. For the planners and interested folks in the house, one of the differences that I've found is that an elevator is not required by code until the 7th floor not like the 4th floor in the US. I haven't found out anything about if they have issues with the ability to provide water to their growing population as this is a question i just can't seem to get translated right or no one just wants to talk about.

Yesterday was a day of museums, old stuff and presentations. I say the treasures of King Tut (please insert Steve Martin song here), learned about the first feminist (name is arabic to me) and say all kinds of neat things. Then we went to the mosque at the citadel which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The view from the citadel is amazing. There I finally got a post card for Ms. Holbrooks so if anyone talks to Carolyn, please have her tell Ms. Holbrooks that I think of her often.

Yesterday was probably the first day I dealt with any type of homesickness. Our first two days in Cairo begin with getting up at 6:30 and returning home at midnight or later and let's just say that it is very tiring. Today, we got to sleep in....8:30 and the day is full of relaxing types of activities and no presentations. Yesterday, it took everything that I had to make my presentation peppy and the dark circles under my eyes were a very prevalent feature on my face. Even Marwa commented.

I'm staying with Regina at the family of Sego (nickname) and Youserif (spelled phonetically I think). they have two lovely daughters, Layla and Salma who are 4 and 4 months. It is a french speaking home. ok, Sego is learning french because Layla is going to a french school. This is where I want to thank my mother and the College of Charleston for my french education. It may be a language that is spoken less than spanish, but it really is a universal language. Unfortunately, I should have practiced more in the last ten years as I have lost a lot of vocabulary, but who knew it would come in this handy. Regina says my face is different when someone speaks french to me because my brain is working hard....this is very true.

Tomorrow we are headed to the north coast and the red sea (another first) and Thursday we are bound for Hurgada and Sahl Hasish. It will be a 6-7 bus hour ride, but completely worth it. I am already planning my time at the spa and maybe even a pedi.

2 comments:

  1. Whitney so sorry I couldn;t make it yesterday to attend the event of the rotary and to be able to see you.. I'm glad you are happy with the new family and you are still practicing your french :)) seems your schedule for the coming period is full of activities this is great and yes of course the view from the citadel is so special.. keep on enjoying my dear friend.. i will always remember your famous word "be yourself" thanks for adding this word to my life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems as though you are adjusting and doing well. Are you taking lots of pictures? Hope so. MOM

    ReplyDelete