17 May 2009

Lebanon

On Tuesday I leave for Lebanon. It is the first time that a Rotary team has been to Lebanon since 2000. we've met several of the people that we will be staying with in Lebanon here at the distrist conference. I know that some of you may worry (I am speaking directly to my mother), but please do not. We are in great hands and what you read in the papers and see on the news (not pointing fingers but ESPECIALLY Fox News) is not like anything that we have found here. The political world and the people are two completely different entities. Thus far, my only fear has been when I am trying to communicate which is my own fault because I do not speak there language (ps I'm always with a Rotarian so that doesn't happen often)

The Rotary district 2450 conference is unlike anything I have ever seen. For instance, there is a large turn out for the closing session (I don't know that that has ever happened at a conference I have attended) and the Gala was a decadent affair attended by 2000 people dressed in black and white.

Like I just wrote (actually I wrote it by the pool a couple of days ago and just uploaded it), I got some rest and have put my "homesickness" behind me. I won't be here much longer and I don't want to miss any of this!

I'll be traveling when the decision for the Shops of Crossroads Village and Holly Crest come down God willing and no deferrals (hint...hint...someone send me an email).

I'll blog again when I can. Love to you all.

5 comments:

  1. Wow 2000 people in black and white wow i wanna see photos please.. enjoy Lebanon I have been in Beirut before it is amazing people are so nice and mountains, green landscape and many charming place to go and to eat as well food there is so yami enjoy it my friend ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mothers job is to worry. Give her a break. RJE

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Richard said... and I do hold job close to my heart ! Have fun in spite of your mom, Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Mom and wouldn't change you worrying for the entire world. Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK lady, I have finally summoned my courage and controlled my Luddite nature and visited your blog. It's my first time viewing a blog, hmmm this could be addicting! Several thoughts, 1) you are a wonderful writer and your joy of life comes through very clearly, 2) thank you for sharing these snippets of a world I'll likely never see and for putting the human face to it, 3) from what I have seen in my Lebanese friends here in the States, I am certain you will only experience hospitality, 4) from one of your earliest posts...thanks A LOT for thinking of me when you are on a crowded crazy urban street!, 5) the photo of the Smokey Joe's in Germany got me because I really want the Audi A5 Cabriolet on the billboard above it, and 6) may the rest of your time there be as joyous and full as the first seems to have been! We do miss you!
    Peace, Bill C.

    ReplyDelete