02 May 2009

I had the ice

Unlike Mexico and south american countries, Egypt's water is clean. The tap water just has a different stand of bacteria than we are used to. I had ice last night with my water and boy did that one peice of cold goodness cost me. I was up before morning prayers with a cramping sensation that I have never had and I had cold chills. It got worse before getting better, but not to fear I had Mona and my Mama in Egypt at my side. I think the reluctantly sent me to Alex but I had to go.


The bus ride was long but I had a pillow that Mona gave me of which I just realized is missing...not unusual for me. I am on the trail of getting it back. The pillow helped, but I was cold. It was cloudy and rainy IN THE DESERT. This is very unusual. We all wentto a party in a town outside of Alex. I was pale and trying to hang in there of which i did for about 3 hours. The first thing we were offered at the party was alcohol. Considering this is a predominately Muslem country, I was taken aback. Once exhaustion took over, I needed a nap. After the nap I was feeling much better and I ate a bit. I had the chicken as to not upset my stomach (They feed you constantly in Egypt). Somewhere in the middle of all of this I met two adorable little old men, one of greek origin and one who was born in St. Louis that had lots to share about our countries. "Meet me in St. Louis" man wanted to fix my illness with scotch. I politely accepted, but drank VERY little and downed a lot of 7-up. "Meet me in St. Louis"man also thought that dancing would help and we did the two-step to a french song. There were a group of Rotaracts that invited the GSE team out for kareoke that night, but I declined on account of the sickness.

After the party I was taken to Alex to meet my host family for the week. I am staying with the Zahrans. Hamada and Zora are the parents and one of their daughters is living at home again. I just realized that I have forgotten her name since my sleep so I hope they use it again soon so I won't be embarassed to ask again because believe me, it is not written in any language that I can read. (An aside...I am meeting so many people that it is hard for me to remember their names and on top of that I barely can pronounce them and feel extremely embarassed. I am pushing aside that part of my ego and sucking up my lack of memory skills).

Mr. Hamada owns a chocolate factory and home goods line of cooking utensils and products. Their house is amazing and is under a little renovation which I think is exhausting Zora. They have an internet phone and I was able to call Mom. I also watched television in English...very cool.

2 comments:

  1. where is my pillow :(( ,,, I'm joking of course but with the pillow or without it we have a promise that wen you return to Cairo that you will meet us again to return that pillow i count on that so try to find it but i doubt it will appear again this is typically Whitney losing her stuff here and there ... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have recovered!

    :) Jessi

    ReplyDelete