02 June 2010

What's in the Garden

Oh how I have two supporting unpublished posts on why I want to blog about my garden, but the reason is quite simple. I think this is the only way to keep tract of what grows and what does not grow.

My lettuce season has come and gone and I ate so many salads, I was starting to think I'd not need another salad until November. Thankfully I was spared from any bunny incidents but was not spared ants. Where the lettuce grew is replaced by cantaloupe. We'll try it again this year.

I've been getting most of my plants from the Bradford Store in Huntersville with the exception of the lettuce. I like that I can ask them questions and I feel like they know what they are talking about contrary to their counter parts at Home Depot (which is more convenient, but WAY less helpful)

I've had my first cherry tomatoes arrive in red, but none of the others. I planted Sweet 100's (the cherry ones), Pink Ladies, German Johnson's and a yellow one whose name I forget. One of my neighbors gave me some late tomatoes to start so hopefully I won't have them all come in at once.

I have eggplant, but lost one of my little soldiers to squirrels digging in the garden. I have no idea how to fix that problem. Something got to the eggplant leaves, but whatever it is has moved on to another garden as the new leaves look healthy. I am going to invest in cedar oil as I heard while sitting at Thomas Street Tavern (all great advice comes from a barstool) that this was a natural way to control pests.

I have banana peppers and chocolate peppers this year. The chocolate peppers are supposed to be like red peppers.

I'm trying a bush type dill pickle and zucchini and one squash plant. With those I'll eat like a king for weeks on end.

Lastly, I have three okra plants. This will definitely be a experiment of growth and cooking because I don't know what you do with okra other than order it fried from the KW line.

No comments:

Post a Comment