19 June 2010

Truckstop Love



The longer I live in a city, the more and more I become one of those "city people" you see stereotyped in movies. You know what I'm talking about...the shoes cannot get dirty let alone mess up the nails, constantly complaining how "far" the country really is and referring to everything as "so quaint!". So when the opportunity to reconnect with some small town roots, it always makes for a good adventure because you are bound to see something interesting along the way. Last spring, I headed up to Salisbury to see my friend Preston in a play. Now, the play made me cry (I did not research the subject matter) and I almost stood up in the middle to beat some sense into Preston's character. (It was hard to disassociate the character from Preston so I'm going to put that in the plus column for Preston's acting abilities.) Really, I was fighting my "inner Pearl" (See a future post about that) because that Howie and Becca needed a clue and I had just the perfect dose of southern medicine. This is all really beside the point.

Back to the Journey.... As much as I try, my car does not run on anything but gasoline. I'm trying to make it work on prayer, but again...that just ain't happenin'. I pull off I-85 and to a Shell Truckstop while talking to my friend Chad in Texas. Yes, I know the dangers in distracted driving, but I also know the dangers in loosing touch with those you love. Sometimes you just got to take the risk. While pumping dinosaur bones into my car, I am not but 50 yards from an honest to God Truckstop Wedding Chapel. These things I have only read about in books and seen their distant cousins in Vegas. But ya'll if you are in a pinch and just can't wait to solidify your union with the one you love on that road trip along I-85...look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment