22 June 2010

One fact to Summer

Spring is for idealists; summer is for realists. In Spring, one dreams of bountiful gardens and there is so much hope and promise in the air that it is intoxicating. Cautiously this spring, I tried not to over plant my garden, giving each plant it's unique and special place to grown into its own. What summer is teaching me that just didn't stick when I took it in high school biology or by watching the Lion King, is that my garden is just as much a part of the Circle of Life as anywhere else. Everybody's got to eat and that includes, the squirrels, the rabbits, the ants, the spiders, the earwigs...everybody. And everybody in my "neighborhood" has loved my garden. The ants loved my eggplant to what I am sure is their death. The squirrels have liked both the eggplant and zuchini. I'm not sure who is lovingly nibbling on the sage and basil. Luckily, some of the herbs, tomatoes and peppers still remain. I've even had new growth on my lettuce which has been nice. Yesterday I ate a salad that all came from my garden.

So in that sense, summer remains a realist. I really can eat whatever is left over (after it seems I have fed "the neighbors"). And the reality is that I got my wish. Summer came early and it has come hard. I am bracing for one long, hot season (secretly I love it and use minimal air conditioning. I only wish I worked somewhere that allowed me to wear a bathing suit or tank tops and skirts all day).

No comments:

Post a Comment