21 December 2009

The Chaos on the Way to the Gated Gates










One can not imagine the hysteia of the Charlotte Airport unless you were there at 6:30 am on Sunday morning. The passengers that were there overnight waiting to get back onto new flights after the weather canceled their flights combined with new travelors such as ourselves made for a quamire of passengers - some angry, some pushy, some just trying to go with the flow. USAir did not do themselves any favors by not signing ANY of the lines. One employee tried to restore some type of order, but to limited avail to the travelors who needed to make changes and perhaps had been in the airport for 16 hours. I totally sympahized with their situation, but I was headed to the tropics and was not about to miss it. Which is why it is great to have an innocently-looking, pushing sister who "bullied" her way into a recently opened line. We made our flight thanks to her persistence, but did not have time for breakfast. I slept through "snacks" on the plane (I swear I'm going some where with this food thing).
Our rental car is a Kia Rio with manual windows and a USB port (this combination makes no sense to me). We are staying in a place called outside of Palmas del Mar Humacao on the east side of Puerto Rico. As best as I can determine, it is pronounced "oo-ma-cow" or "oo-ma-ki-o" (my Spanish needs work). This is a Gated Gated community - you go through one gate at the front and to another gate to each little community. This does not keep out the wild dogs. It takes a litle while and at least one attempt of Stacey speaking Spanish to get our condo's keys Which We get around 3pm. I have eaten two granola bars and half a coke by this time. I'm fading and fast fading. (This always reminds me of the time that Maggie and I were in Italy and did not speak for 6 hours because we went to find a building she wanted to see in our Italian guide book, written in French, Which turns out to be a hospital . We skipped lunch that day and walk for about 3 hours ... I went BA-LIS-TIC. I am surprised she ever spoke to me again). We find this restaurant in a cute place in the compound (not Jack I have not gotten pictures yet). Vanessa our waitress recommended against the quesadillas and to the nachos supreme. The recommendation was well worth it and color finally returned to my face. I had a huge carnitas burrito and was finally amoung the living again. Because of the lack of blood sugar for so long, I had to nap while the rest of the family went to the beach.

In the evening we went to Ralph's Food Warehouse! And they were not kidding about the food. I had a blast but most are aware of my obsession with food stores. Thus far, Puerto Rico is like extreme conservatives think what will happen to the U.S. if were an official Spanish language and thus far, I do not see what all the hype is about. I mean for the love of shoe sales, there is a Wal-Mart, Sally's Beauty Supply and Rave in the next town over!

Today was utter bliss! We spent the morning at the beach. Napped, Lunch, Read a whole book and Jim entertained as best we could without exerting ourselves. Mom loves the Boogie board and Stacey has painted two good watercolors.
More ahead and Love to all

No comments:

Post a Comment