19 April 2009

Egypt--One week and Counting

People keep asking if I am prepared and I keep telling them, "well, I'm getting there". I always want to be more prepred than I am, but to be honest, I'll get on the plane with just my toothbrush if I have to.

I guess I should publish why I am going to Egypt. Group Study Exchange is a program through Rotary International for non-Rotarians who are 25-40 and in a job that they can return to. It is a cultural exchange with some vocational study involved. I had to interview for the spot back in December and quite frankly didn't think that I did so well in the interview. I'm glad now, that the selection committee did not have the same sense. I found out the same day I interviewed (I was making an Irish stew when I heard the news...chopping and cooking help calm me down...the stew was horrid by the way)

There are five team members and one team leader going. You will hear me talk about them over the next month and I imagine that we will become rather close or at least close enough to know what really pisses the other one off.

Bill--our fearless leader--He works with herbal medicines and has various other start up companies. He also plays in a bass in a band.
Bryant--works for USBank and has beaten me in checkers. (See earlier post). He is from Cleveland and works as a northern translator.
Chris--is a police officer for CMPD. He has a very lovely wife Suzanne who I just got to know on Friday and hope she will come sometime to Women who Wine, and two children whom I've not met yet. Chris is from "all over".
Josh--teaches Spanish at Stanly community college in Albemarle. He has an adorable dog named Bella who has to have some Australian cattledog in her. Bella and Liddy get along.
Regina--works for Charlotte Mecklenburg School system and is working on two masters degrees. I don't know how she does it.
Me--it is hard to boil yourself down into a sentence. I guess that is why I have the blog.

3 comments:

  1. I think I did more than "beat" you in checkers:

    Pretty sure it was a trouncing, or a walloping. Possibly even more of a massacre.
    -According to Theasurus.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please bring me some sand...and a vial of the Red Sea.....and a piece of the pyramids. That's all I ask. Make sure you ask first, I don't want to cause an international incident.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryant has beaten me in pinball and I've only met him once!!

    -Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete